5 simple and safe pregnancy exercises2 min readReading Time: 2 minutes
During pregnancy it’s more important than ever to stay active. You have one of your biggest tasks ahead – so you better be ready! Now is not the time to run marathons, but to strengthen your body and make sure you’re up for one of the biggest tasks of your life.
As your stomach grows your centre of gravity moves forward and you begin to arch your back. When you arch you lose the tension in your butt, hamstrings and back, which will lead to your muscles weakening and your muscle mass becoming unevenly distributed. An unevenly distributed muscle mass will affect your balance in a negative way, so it’s important to strengthen these areas during your pregnancy to avoid this happening.
Here’s a quick guide to five simple and safe exercises that will help you maintain a healthy body during your pregnancy;
- Remember to keep your core tight and maintain a neutral spine trough all exercises
- Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps per exercise
- Quadruped position
- Lift and extend your right arm and left leg simultaneously, then switch arms and legs.
Deadlift with kettlebell
- Shoulder wide stance with a kettlebell between your feet
- Hinge your hip, bend your knees and lift the kettlebell from the floor
- Extend your legs and hip back to the starting position
Back squat with barbell
- Place the barbell shoulder high on the back of your neck
- While keeping your knees in line with your toes throughout the movement, bend your knees and hip, try to reach bellow parallel
- Extend back to starting position
Back row with dumbbell
- Hip wide stance, hinge your hip and hold the dumbbell in one hand and use the other hand for support
- Lift the dumbbell straight up to your side, then lower the dumbbell back to the starting position
- Perform 3 sets with each hand
- Hip wide stance, step backwards into a high plank
- Step back up to the starting position
- Clap your hands above your head
Remember – motion is lotion!